The Q&A Archives: Christmas Palm Tree

Question: I have a young Christmas Palm tree and it is getting brown spots all over the palm leaves. What is this and how do I take care of the tree?

Answer: Rosann,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

It is most likely due either to a soil problem (dry periods, soggy wet conditions, excessive fertilizer salts) or to a leaf fungus (usually promoted by wetting the foliage). I suggest you watch the soil moisture levels carefully, make sure the plant is in adequate lighting and trim away any damaged foliage. Fertilize it lightly with a soluble plant food at the low constant feed label rate if it has not been fed in the past few months.