The Q&A Archives: height for boxwood

Question: I recently bought 2 Boxwood (Buxus SP.) plants from Home Depot. Size is listed as

Answer: There are several variegated boxwoods. The most commonly available are Buxus sempervirens ?Aureo-variegata?, sometimes sold as Buxus sempervirens 'Aureovariegata', and Buxus sempervirens 'Elegantissima'.

Buxus sempervirens 'Aureovariegata' grows 8-10' high and wide. Buxus sempervirens 'Elegantissima' grows only 2-3' high and wide. If you have 'Elegantissima' instead of 'Aureovariegata', you'll have a very short hedge! You can plant these as specimens or focal points in your yard instead of making them into a hedge. I'd purchase 'Aureovariegata' for a variegated leaf hedge. If solid green is okay, you can plant Buxus sempervirens, the common boxwood, which grows about 10' tall, or Buxus microphylla var. japonica, the Japanese boxwood, which reaches 6' tall and 4' wide.

Best wishes with your new hedge!