The Q&A Archives: disease? on shrub and tree

Question: I have a chinese magnolia and some bradford pear trees in my yard. Both species are showing browning of the leaves and leave edges are shrivelled (sp?) Could this be from a nightly frost we had a few days ago? I checked for bugs but nothing to find. Any help is appreciated.

Answer: Renate,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

It could be from that cold snap. When tips and/or margins of the leaves brown it is usually due to drought, fertilizer burn, or an environmental stress such as cold. Cold injury often also affects the thinner areas of the leaves between the veins.