The Q&A Archives: plants in containers

Question: I usually plant annuals,pansies in containers on my deck they are the don't do great in hot weather. What are some plants that will do well in the heat in containers for my deck

Answer: Pansies are great cool weather plants but when the weather turns hot they usually go into decline. For summer you might try some of the real heat lovers such as lantana, mandevilla, tropical hibiscus or petunias, million bells (Calibrachoa),marigolds, salvia, or Angelonia. In hot weather you may need to water daily to keep the soil evenly moist (not sopping wet, just damp.) Also be sure your containers are large enough to accomodate the plants easily as larger containers will stay moister longer during hot weather. Enjoy your summer flowers!