The Q&A Archives: non blooming Hydrangea

Question: I have a good sized hydrangea bush that was in this yard when I moved here, 7years ago.

It has never bloomed, I moved it to more sun. One 5 feet away blooms beautifully. Every year I threatened to discard it, Is there any hope? Thanks, Anne albosta

Answer: There are hydrangea's which bloom on (current season) new wood and hydrangeas that bloom on new shoots which develop on old wood. If the non-blooming hydrangea freezes down to ground level each winter, and if it's the type that blooms on new shoots which develop on old wood, it may never bloom for you. In that case, I'd replace it with one that produces blooms on the current season's growth. All Summer Beauty would be a good choice for your gardening region.

Best wishes with your landscape!