The Q&A Archives: garden planning

Question: I have 2 beds in the front yard (full sun) what do you suggest to put in them? Right now I have heather in one and gardenias in the other. Neither is doing well.

Answer: I'd dig and remove any existing plants then amend the soil with organic matter prior to planting any of the following sun-loving perennials. It's easy to amend soil - simply spread a 4-5" layer of organic matter (compost, aged manure, etc.) over the soil surface and then dig it into the soil to a depth of about 8". Your plants will love it!

Acaena, Acanthus, Achillea or yarrow (a superb plant for sunny hot spots), Aconitum, Acorus, Agapanthus, Agastache, Alcea, Allium (ornamental onions), Amsonia, Anacyclus, Anaphalis, Anemone, Angelica, Aquilegia, Arabis, Armeria, Artemisia, Baptisia, Bellis, bergenia, Botlonia Buddleis (butterfly bush), Campanula, Caryopteris, Centaurea, Chelone, Clematis, Coreopsis, Crocosmia, Dahlia, Dianthus, Dryas, Echinacea, Echinops, Euphorbia, Gaillardia, Gaura, Gazania, Geum, Gypsophils, Helianths, Hemerocallis, Hypericum, Iberis, Kniphofia, Lavender (one of the most favorite of full sun perennials), Lavatera, Lewisia, Liatris, Limonium,, Liriope, Lonicera, Lunaria, Lupine, Malva, Meconopsis, Nepeta, Origanum, Papaver, Penstemon, Phlox, Phormium, Ranunculus, Rosemary, Sage, Salvia, Scabiosa, Sedum, Thymus, Veronica and Yucca.

Best wishes with your new garden beds!