The Q&A Archives: moss

Question: I have moss growing in my lawn,why?And how do I get rid of it?

Answer: Moss typically grows where the soil is overly compacted, poorly drained, has low fertility and/or is overly acidic. It can also occur in damp and shady areas where grass will not thrive. I would suggest you run some basic soil tests to check up on your soil's condition and work from there. You may need to do core aeration, add lime and fertilizer, top dress with compost and eventually overseed to overcome this. Or if it is a shaded area, you may want to consider a ground cover instead of lawn grass for that area. Your local county extension should be able to help you with the soil testing and interpreting the results. They should also be able to suggest a regular lawn maintenance plan based on your soil and the type of grass you are growing.