The Q&A Archives: Evergreen tree for backyard

Question: Last year, along the back of our fence in the backyard, we had planted four Cleveland Select Pear trees evenly spaced. We needed privacy. My goal is to add a couple of evergreen trees as well. I have a 6-ft fence and would like to know what evergreen tree you recommend? I would like the evergreen tree to have a single trunk so I can prune it up from the ground and leave the top more like a tree form. The tree height would be about 6.5'-8', approx. Thank you very much.

Answer: Probably the best candidate for your screening hedge is Thuja occidentalis (American Arborvitae). These conical or pyramid-shaped needled evergreens are practically maintenance free. They can be pruned to fit the area and grow dense and thick to provide a real privacy screen

Best wishes with your landscape!