The Q&A Archives: grass seed?

Question: I was wondering what the name of the grass seed that industrial contractors use. They just spread it over the ground and it is blueish-green color. It almost looks like a powder from far away?

Answer: Landscape contractors almost always use a perennial ryegrass, fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass mixture to spray onto the ground. The greenish cast is a combination of fertilizer and organic matter (usually shredded paper) to help hold the seeds in place, keep them moist, and feed the plants after they germinate. You can purchase a similar combination in rolls at the garden center. They are essentially mats of shredded paper impregnated with grass seed and sprayed with fertilizer.

Hope this answers your question!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Captivating Caladiums"