The Q&A Archives: pruning

Question: I recently moved and ther is a holly bush against the house. It is way too big. Can I trim it? I would like to cut it back and also remove a few of the base branches. I really would like to dig it up and move the whole thing without cutting it. Can this be done? Thanks

Answer: You can certainly move the holly if it has grown too big for its planting site. Expect the roots to be concentrated in the top 12-18" of soil and spread out a few feet beyond the longest branch. If you decide to trim it instead of moving it, you can safely remove one-third of the plant without doing too much harm to it. If it needs to be trimmed more than that, plan on reducing its size over a 2-3 year period rather than all at once. This way your holly won't be too stressed out and go into shock.

Best wishes with your project!