The Q&A Archives: indoor tropical plant problem

Question: I have brown edges on new leaves on tropical plant indoors and then whole leaf turns brown and dies. Used less water and then more water and still have brown edges and looses leaves. help

Answer: Brown edges can indicate over- or under-watering, over-fertilization, a build-up of salts in the soil, and dry indoor air. You've already addressed the watering problem so let's look at the other possibilities. Too much fertilizer can burn the leaves; a build-up of salts from water or from over-fertilizing can do the same. The best thing to do if your water is full of salts is to either use distilled water to water your indoor plants, or to periodically leach the soil of salts by flooding, draining, flooding, draining and then flooding a third time. Do this once a month and it should keep salts from building up in the potting soil. To increase humidity around your tropical plants, set them in a gravel filled tray to which you add an inch or so of water. As the water evaporates it will increase humidity around your plants.

Try all of the above suggestions and I'll bet you'll see a dramatic change in the appearance of your tropical plants.