The Q&A Archives: bradford pear tree

Question: i have the above that is about 11 years old. beautiful and over the top of my house. i have recently noticed that the truck of the tree is turning yellow, has a hole in the side and little uniform holes around the truck. they look like woodpecker holes but not sure. saw where it could be borers. if so, can it be treated, sure would hate to have to cut it down and it would be very expensive to do so. Thanks

Answer: Carol,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you. I bet you are seeing the shallow holes of the sapsucker bird. These are typically about as wide and as deep as a pencil eraser and are arranged in horizontal lines as if a machine gun shot the tree! There is no cause for alarm if the damage is minor and the tree will not be significantly harmed.