The Q&A Archives: are these plants poisonous to my cats

Question: We have two indoor cats that love to eat any plants or flowers we bring in the house. So I was wondering if Phalaenopsis orchid, lucky bamboo and an assorted foilage could hurt them? I do have the plants up on shelf but sometines they can get up there if they really try. Thank You for your time -Elizabeth

Answer: I too have a plant eating cat so I understand your concern. Many common houseplants are in fact toxic to plants, and the plants really suffer after repeated "play sessions" too with damaged foliage and broken stems. For this reason, I would strongly suggest you keep the plants in a room that is off limits to the cats. Or, I have grown my plants in a terrarium type enclosure and at one time improvised a caged plant area to keep them safely separated. Please keep your cats safe!