The Q&A Archives: Water Gardening and Hydrangeas

Question: I would information on hydrangeas. Growing around my area, are they hardy here etc. Also plants etc. for a watergarden/pond. <br>I need information on growing hydrangeas in my area. Also, what can you tell me about plants for water/pond gardening?

Answer: Hydrangeas are hardy and tolerant of various soil conditions, though they will do best in a moist, well-drained soil that is high in organic matter (humus). In your area, they prefer a little shade and will likely require watering in the summer. Hydrangea macrophylla, H. arborescens, and H. paniculata will do best in your area, and come in a wide variety of colors, sizes and shapes. Wayside Gardens (1 Garden Lane, Hodges SC 29695-0001; ph# 800/845-1124) has a great selection in their catalog, as does Carroll Gardens (444 East Main St., Westminster MD 21157; ph# 800/638-6334).<br><br>There are a tremendous number of plants available for water gardens. Your limitations will be sun/shade at the site, size of the garden and temperatures. To get an idea of what's available, check out Garden Escape ( Green & Hagstrom's website ( had many links to watergardening sites. Hope this helps!