The Q&A Archives: Blue Plumbago

Question: I planted 8 blue plumbagos last year and it isn't growing as well as other plumbagos. There's a lot of dark brown

Answer: Julia,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

Plumbagos can take the sun and are fairly drought tolerant once established. Cold temps in winter can burn them back and they may just have adjusted slower to the shock of transplanting, so this may be what the new plants are showing. I suggest you fertilize them with a turf type fertilizer at a rate of 2 cups per 100 square feet. Then water it in well. They should respond with vigorous new growth now that the temperatures are warming up.