The Q&A Archives: ice plants

Question: I just purchased the trailing rosepink iceplant from one of your stores and planned to use it as ground cover in a small rock garden in the corner of my yard. However, I have been reading that the iceplant tends to overgrow and is hard to control. Should I consider another type of ground cover? Or is there some way of controlling the growth?

Answer: Ice plant develops roots along the trailing stems and if the roots meet soil, they will take hold. Ice plant can be controlled by simply pinching off the offending trailing stem and pulling the roots out of the ground. It doesn't get out of control in a single season so as long as you monitor its progress in the garden, it shouldn't be problematic. I'd go ahead and plant it. You can thin the plant out if it becomes too thick and shorten the trailing stems by simply pinching out the offending plant parts.

Hope this answers your question!