The Q&A Archives: plant magnolia tree

Question: When can I plant my magnolia tree in New York, and how much sun should it recieve? Should the tree be planted with other trees or shrubs surrounding it? Thanks.

Answer: Magnolias do best in full sun and in soil that is organic and evenly moist yet well drained. Also, the evergreen magnolias require protection from sweeping winter winds. You can plant a container grown tree in spring or fall, but the evergreen magnolias do best if planted in the spring. The evergreen magnolias have root systems and cast dense shade that make it difficult for other plants to grow under neath, so I would suggest planning on a groundcover or simple mulched area beneath one of these. The deciduous magnolias cast summer shade, so would probably do best with a groundcover such as Vinca minor underneath them, as well.