The Q&A Archives: i need to kill bermuda and keep my st. augustine

Question: 90% of my lawn is st. augustine. 5% is bermuda and 5% is centipede. i don't mind the centipede so much, but want the centipede gone. they are in distinct separate sections. what is the best way to promote the st. augustine to overtake the bermuda? can st. augustine overtake bermuda? i wanted to stay away from the extreme measure- totally killing the bermuda and laying 1ft x 1ft st. augustine squares, but i will if i have to. thank you for your time and advice.

-neal westmoreland, texas

Answer: Neal,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you. Unfortunately there is not a product that will kill centipede or bermuda but not St. Augustine. If you fertilize in spring summer and fall the Centipede will be at a disadvantage over the other grasses and will likely slowly decline. I think the only option for removing the bermuda is spraying it and trying to direct sprays to it as much as possible and the St. Augustine as little as possible. When the bermuda dies after about a week or so then set out the St. Augustine. If you can tolerate some dead spots for a while it would be better to wait a month or more since you won't get all the bermuda with one spray and then you can retreat once or twice to be more sure of good control before planting the new St. Augustine in.