The Q&A Archives: Ficus Robusta

Question: I bought this plant about 5-6 weeks ago. Repotting went well about 2 weeks after that. Now I have a couple of leaves that are turning yellow. Please advise if I am underwatering.

Answer: Yellow leaves can be caused by many things including lack of nitrogen, insufficient light, water-logged soil (plant roots need oxygen to thrive), dry soil, or iron deficiency. If the older bottom leaves are yellow, but new growth is green, it's usually a lack of nitrogen. If new leaves are yellow, with green veins, it's usually a lack of iron. Soil should be kept moderately moist (but not wet). Finally, transplant shock can contribute to yellowing. If new growth shows up as green, that might be the problem. Try to isolate each of these possibilities one at a time to determine the cause. However, if only a couple leaves are yellow and the plant seems otherwise healthy, I'd think it was a combination of transplanting and the move to a new environment, different than its original "perfect" conditions at the grower's. Good luck with your new plant!