The Q&A Archives: I am planning to do gardining with my new house would like to plant colourfull perenials in chicago

Question: iam planing to do gardning for my new home,would like to plant pernials and beautyfull colourfull plants, also I don't have green thumb and would like to have some indoor plants what should i get? which does not require lots of care? thankyou.

Answer: Some perennials for you to begin with might include peony, coreopsis, purple coneflower, black eyed Susan, daylily (Hemerocallis), and sedum. You will need to prepare the planting area by removing any existing grass or weeds, loosening the soil down about a foot deep, working in organic matter such as compost or well rotted stable manure/bedding. After planting, mulch between the plants with an organic mulch to help keep down weeds, reduce watering needs, and feed the soil slowly over time as it breaks down.

Some easy indoor plants include English ivy, pothos, asparagus fern and philodendron.

Enjoy your new home!