The Q&A Archives: Problem area

Question: I have a narrow space (about two feet) between the wall of my foundation and a patio extension (stucco and cement with decorative pavers). I can't seem to find a shrub or plant that does well in this space. I planted five pinwheel jasmine in the space and all plants died. They receive water via three irrigation heads and semi-sunny, semi-shade, depending on time of day. Someone once told me that the chemicals cement and other types of similar materials leach out are lethal to plants. Is this true? I hope not because I really need to have something planted there. I will await your response and thank you.

Answer: Debra,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you. Leaching from concrete tends to make the soil pH go up but is not lethal otherwise. I would try one or more of the following plants: Salvia 'Mystic Spires', Chiapas Sage (also a salvia), or zinnias that are a dwarf type.