The Q&A Archives: Removal of pesty plant

Question: I have tried many things and would like to ask if you can help me get rid of Wisteria, it is taking over my whole yard, choking citrus trees, lemons, other beautiful shrubs. I have chopped it off I have poured chemicals in it, it looked pretty for my 80 year old mother and she planted it cause it looked so pretty. I found it after it was everywhere. HELP>

Answer: Alice,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

The options for getting rid of Wisteria are to either dig it out, or to cut it off and then apply a strong solution of a weed killer with either glyphosate or triclopyr as the active ingredient to the cut surfaces of the "stump". You can also apply these products to the foliage but if they get on desirable plants those plants will be killed too.