The Q&A Archives: what can I plant

Question: what types of these plants are good for my region: zip code 07016

Answer: (I apologize if you receive this answer twice, I just experienced a system issue.)

Your zip code places you in zone 6A or the coldest part of USDA winter hardiness zone 6. If you garden in an exposed or windy spot you would have a microclimate possibly as cold as zone 5. So I would suggest you use plants rated hardy to zone 5 or colder (ie 5 or a lower number.)

Your plant selection is also based on the amount of sun in the planting spot, the type of soil, if it is extra wet or dry, is it windy, and so on. You also need to determine if you want a tree, shrub or flowers. Evergreen or deciduous? You need to make sure you have enough space for the plant to mature, too.

I would suggest you work with your local county extension to analyze the growing conditions where you want to plant and then select plants according to your overall design goals.

In the meantime, here is a plant search that might help you begin to identify some possible plants.

Enjoy your gardening!