The Q&A Archives: seed germination

Question: I planted Chinese Chives seed over five weeks ago and they have not sprouted. What's wrong?

Answer: Chinese Chives, also called Garlic chives, can be started from seed, but it does need to be fresh to germinate properly, so be sure to buy seeds from a reputable source or harvest your own. To encourage germination the seeds can be put in the refrigerator for a week before planting. Under average conditions, the seeds will germinate in 7-10 days. The seeds should be sown on top of the soil (or potting mix) and covered with only 1/4" of soil. Keep the seedbed moist and the seeds will germinate in about a week. If your seeds have not germinated after 5 weeks, I doubt that they will. Try again with fresh seeds following the above suggestions. Best wishes with your garlic chives!