The Q&A Archives: Yellow leaves on Gardenias

Question: I just purchased Vecchi Gardenias. After a few days the lower-mid leaves began to yellow. The have not dropped off indicating to me, that it's not a natural die off. Would a iron drench help?

Thank you,

Answer: Dennis,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you. Iron deficiency shows up on the newest growth first. That yellowing you are seeing is due to stress from transplant shock or the roots drying out temporarily. As long as you keep the soil moist the plant will recover and resume normal growth. Fertilize the plant lightly with a soluble plant food at the label rate to promote more vigor and good color.