The Q&A Archives: fertilizer and weed killer

Question: I have 17 homes I rent out in one neighborhood. I have bahia grass lawns. Some areas have many weeds some areas not. I am looking for the best weed killer/fertilizer to use. because I have so much area to cover I really would like to try and cover both the fertilizing and weed killer at the same time if possible. Please advise me what to use or if I really need to use two seperate products and when and how to apply.

Answer: Brenda,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

Your question in more complex than can be answered in a brief e-mail reply. The answer will depend on the types of weeds you have in the Bahiagrass lawn. The best product for controlling them will depend on whether the weeds are grassy or broadleaf, annual or perennial, and cool season or warm season. I suggest you contact your County Extension Office as they can assist you in identifying the weeds and prescribing the best products and application timing for optimum results. Additionally, the following web site should be helpful to you: