The Q&A Archives: azaleas and gardinas

Question: i had bought two types of azaleas from home depot one re and the other pink they are both babies and wanted to know should i plant them in the sunniest part or part shade it didn't say and also the gardinas said sun on the pot but of what i read on the site it said i should plant in the shade can you help me with this? any other advice on this would help also. the pink azaleas say tropical on it...does this mean it needs more sun?
thank you,
arlene, west babylon, n.y.

Answer: Based on your description I think you may have purchased plants intended for seasonal florist-type display rather than winter hardy landscape plants for planting in the garden. There are many different types of azaleas, and some are not winter hardy in colder climates such as yours (the word tropical makes me think this may be the case.) Gardenias would not be reliably hardy in your area, either, but are often sold as container plants to be enjoyed and then discarded or else kept as patio plants in summer and then brought indoors for the winter. Gardenia and azalea both could handle bright dappled light all day or morning-only sun.