The Q&A Archives: Cranberry Plants

Question: Where can I obtain cranberry plants or seedlings and how do I plant them?

Answer: The type of cranberries grown as a food crop (botanical name Vaccinium macrocarpon) are unrelated to the Viburnum species referred to as "cranberry bush" or "highbush cranberry.<br><br>Cranberries need moderately cool summers. They have fairly exacting soil requirements--boggy areas of acid muck or peat. Commercial growers generally flood the growing areas during the winter, to protect plants from winter injury and desiccation. Some bogs are managed without this winter flooding. Cranberries are available from Edible Landscaping at 1-800-524-4156 or, visit the website at<br>They are productive in zones 3-6. I would checkwith their customer service department for more details about cranberry planting and care. <br>