The Q&A Archives: Building Planter Against Foundation

Question: The SW side of my house is sloped and the foundation is partially exposed. I wish to build a planter along this side of the house but need to know what measures should be taken to protect the house foundation.

Answer: You will need to protect the foundation (and also the above ground wall) from the constant moisture and possible changes to the runoff/drainage pattern around/along your foundation. This is especially important since your home is built on a slope. I would suggest you consult on-site with professionally trained, degreed landscape architect or a contractor with experience in this type of project to determine the best method(s) of doing this; you may also need to check your local building code.