The Q&A Archives: what's wrong

Question: Hello,
I have a hydrangea I got for Easter it was doing
very well. I have it in the house because it's been to cold to keep it outside. The leaves under
neath are turning black. Why? I keep it watered
What can I do?

Thanks Lori

Answer: Based on your description I suspect there is a fungal infection. First of all, be sure you are not overwatering the plant. The soil should be slightly moist like a wrung out sponge, not sopping wet and not dried out. Avoid wetting the foliage when you water. Next, make sure there is good air circulation around it and bright light. Then, I would suggest you work with your local Penn State county extension to obtain a specific diagnosis and based on knowing that, suggestions for how to treat it. If a chemical control is needed, they will be able to tell you what to use and how/when to apply it for the best results.