The Q&A Archives: Repairing problem grass

Question: We recently bought a home and the yard was horrible. We have alot of trees in our yard which I believe is the cause of lots of bald spots from shade. We also have tons of dandelions growing. I recently bought a grass seed called canada green but don't know where to start. Should I spray for weeds and bugs first(fleas and ticks) , lots of dogs in neighborhood. Or plant seed first? What is the best guideline when repairing a very bald yard?

Answer: With lots of shade, your grass will struggle to remain healthy. Canada Green is a grass seed mix that contains annual rye, Kentucky bluegrass, and red fescue. Of the mixture, the fescue will grow best under shady conditions and will probably be the only grass that will survive after 2-3 years.

I'd remove the weeds first, either by digging or spot treating with 2-4,D (a broadleaf weed killer). The next step is to rake hard enough to remove most of the dead grass and scratch the surface of the earth (so the seeds will find a place to root). After broadcasting the seed over the bare spots, cover the seed with a light layer of peat moss. This will hold the seed in place until it germinates and will hold moisture against the seeds so they can sprout.

Keep the newly seeded areas moist and the seeds should germinate in 7-14 days.

Best wishes with your lawn.