The Q&A Archives: planting outside

Question: How do I go about starting a garden in my yard when I have that hard dirt that doesn't want to turn over, it is that gerogia clay, what is my first step, because when i lived in N.Y. we had beautiful roses and azaleas and so on and I want the same thing here. Where do I begin?

Answer: Krystall,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

Begin with a soil test. When the soil is slightly moist it is easiest to work. Spread 2-4 inches of compost over the surface and then break up the soil with a spade or fork or rototiller to loosen the soil and mix in the compost. This is the key to developing a looser soil that plants will want to thrive in. The soil test results will include the amount of lime or any other nutrients that will be needed and which should be added prior to mixing the soil and compost.