The Q&A Archives: Ground cover for

Question: I would like to know what you would recommend as a ground cover plant which takes no looking after, little water. I cannot dig up the slope to make it softer because it ajoins my driveway which is higher up. I have put a stone edging at the top to avoid soil washing away when the rains are heavy. We are in Middle Georgia so you can imagine the heat in the summer. Creeping Myrtle has not been a great success, it grows but not as wonderful as other areas.

Answer: Margaret,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

That is quite a challenging spot for any plant to survive and grow. I think your best bets are going to be one of the many types of low growing or prostrate junipers. You will need to do some watering during establishment to help them get going but after that they will be quite drought tolerant.