The Q&A Archives: caring for roses

Question: i have a climbing rose.the weather blew most of the leaves off.i now have it in the bathroom under a plant light.its doing great,all the leaves are back.but it has not gotten any buds.and some leaves are turning yellow.please help.what am i not doing right?i give it water once a week and rose food once every 2 weeks. i put it out get real sun shine but the long limb fell over.does that mean it likes the plant light better.should i leave it there.and how long should i leave the light on. thank you Teresa Mcgee.

Answer: Teresa,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

The yellowing leaves are due to various stresses. Dry soil, soggy wet soil, and a lack of light can all cause yellowing of the foliage. I suggest you put it outside in a very bright shade and then gradually over a week or so move it to full sunlight. Then begin to fertilize it with a soluble plant food like Miracle Gro following label instructions.