The Q&A Archives: Wave Petunia Problems

Question: Each year I buy wave petunias in hanging baskets. They look beautiful until they start to seed, then the leaves turn brown and it gets leggy. I am looking for advice before I get them this year, I want them to look nice hanging from my house! Thanks so much!!!

Answer: To keep your petunias looking terrific, all you need to do is pinch off the faded flowers before they set seed. Pinching off the flowers plus some of the stem will encourage branching and additional flowering. If you allow the plant to go to seed it will put all of its energy into seed making rather than flower production. So, keep those faded flowers pinched off and you'll be rewarded with a thick, lush plant with lots and lots of flowers. Enjoy!