The Q&A Archives: How do you get rid of pachysandra?

Question: Please help. Our yard had been planted with pachysandra long before we bought the house. We have tall pine trees all around, and very rocky soil. While the pachysandra looks nice and stays green all year, it is taking over the entire yard. I pull them out little by little but they keep creeping back. How can I get rid of this pesty plant?
I hope you can help us.
thank you,
Janet Woudenberg

Answer: It sounds like the pachysandra was the perfect choice of groundcover for your yard. It is spreading because it is so well suited to the growing conditions. In my experience, the best way to control its spread is to put in place a physical boundary to contain the roots. This can be an installed edging or a simple dug edging or v shaped trench at the perimeter. Even with the help of the edger, you will also have to do a periodic edge trimming to keep it in check.