The Q&A Archives: stargazer lily

Question: I adore this lily. I planted some bulbs. The first year they came out strong and beautiful. I cut these to put in the house for the fragrance, but the next year there wasn't as many blooms and they were very small and no where near what I had the first season. I thought maybe I cut them wrong when I brought them in the house. What is the best way to make them come back every year and to use them as cut flowers.

Answer: It may be that when you cut the flowers, you took too much of the stem and leaves along with the flower. When cutting flowers to bring inside, be sure that at least half to two-thirds of the stem and foliage remains to supply food to the bulb. This helps insure abundant blooms next year. Before bringing cut lilies indoors, remove the pollen structures or anthers. Lilies produce large quantities of pollen which can stain clothing and other materials.

Hope this information helps you grow spectacular stargazers!