The Q&A Archives: Planting Veggies in Pots

Question: I have no idea how to grow anything, when planting veggies in pots, where do I put the Vigoro veggie/plant food? The bag says at the base of plants. Does that mean before I put the young plantings in the soil, sprinkle the food on the soil than place the plantings on top of it? I've been wanting to do this for 10 years.
Please help!

Answer: Plant your transplants. Sprinkle the recommended amount on the soil surface after you plant. Then lightly scratch it into the soil, so it is just covered or maybe a half inch into the soil. If you are using seeds, wait until after they germinate and you have thinned out the seedlings, fertilize when they are still small, just an inch or so tall. Have fun and enjoy your vegetables!