The Q&A Archives: St, Agustine's sod

Question: How do I lay St. Agustine sod?

Answer: Patricia,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

Prepare the soil by smoothing out any bumps and dips, removing rocks and sticks, and then lightly rototiling (surface couple of inches). They lay the sod pieces overlapping each row like a brick wall is laid. Then roll the area with a turf roller (available at some rental places). Finally water the area well and continue to water twice a day lightly for a week and then once a day lightly for another week to help the sod stay alive as it begins to put roots down into the soil. Gradually transition your watering to one good soaking a week as frequent wetting promotes shallow rooting and disease.