The Q&A Archives: Hypericum

Question: I planted St. John's Wort 3 years ago in full sun in good to average soil. It has spred well but has never bloomed the "yellow flowers all Summer long". How do I get it to bloom?

Answer: Your plants are certainly mature enough to blossom! If you've fertilized, you may have encouraged leaf growth rather than flower production, so don't fertilize this year. You can prune the plants back, which may encourage blooms on the new growth. Depending on where they're planted, you might be able to use a weed-wacker or your lawnmower set as high as possible, and go over the area. Don't prune clear to the ground, but leave 4-5 inches of growth on the plants. This will prompt the plants to put out new stems with flower buds and the flowers should open at the tips of the stems this summer.