The Q&A Archives: caring for blaauw juniper #7 pom-pom

Question: I just bought this and the red tag reads as grn Blaauw juniper #7 pom-pom. Under that it says junipererus chinesis green blaauw. I want to keep on front porch in the large container. It is beautiful and I need to know how to care for it. I have looked all over the library for this and cannot find it. please help

Answer: Your plant is commonly sold as Juniperus chinensis 'Blaauw' (J. c. 'Blaauw's Variety'; J. media 'Blaauw') and Blaauw's Juniper. Whatever name you give it, it is an older variety that's popular. Its growth habit is semi-upright, vase-shaped, and has blue-green foliage. It grows in full sunshine and prefers rich, moist, well drained soil. As with all junipers, yours will need full sun so be sure to move it far enough from any porch overhangs so that it gets adequate sunshine. Aside from regular watering and light pruning to help it maintain its pom-pom appearance, there's not much you need to do to your new plant = except enjoy it!