The Q&A Archives: planting shrubs

Question: I'm planning on planting around 45 arborvitis. Sorry about the spelling. They will be around 5 to 6 feet tall. How far apart should they be planted? I would like privacy as soon as possible. Thanks for any info you may provide.

Answer: The spacing will depend on the specific variety you are growing. Some varieties mature at about four feet wide at the bottom, some at much wider than that. You do not want to crowd them too close together because they do need space to grow and mature over time and crowding can stunt them. To have them touch at maturity, plant them about as far apart as the mature width of the plant. (The spacing is measured from trunk to trunk.) For a somewhat denser hedge sooner, space them at about two thirds the mature width. Good luck with your arborvitaes!