The Q&A Archives: Leveling out Lawn OPEN QUESTION

Question: I am looking for some advice on how to proceed on taking care off some issue's with my lawn. In my backyard our lawn is very

Answer: It may be that you will have to start over from scratch, however the best time to do that would be late summer or early fall. For lumpiness, you might see some improvement if you run a light roller over the area. By light, I mean do not fill it completely full of water. Clover is usually an indication of low fertility, and there is no way to guess on fertilization -- you really have to test the soil. I would suggest you begin by running some basic soil tests and check fertility and pH to see if you need to fertilize and/or lime to adjust the pH. That will be helpful even if you do start over with it in the fall. Then consider doing some core aeration (this pulls up plugs or cores of soil, it does not just punch holes with spikes) and top dressing with good quality compost. This should help to open the soil. I would also suggest you work with your local county extension on this. They should be able to help you with the soil tests and interpreting the results, and have recommendations for the best grass varieties to grow in your local area and in the soil you have currently. Good luck with your lawn this summer!