The Q&A Archives: SOD

Question: My existing lawn of (20 yrs ) will be replaced very soon. Sod w/b the replacement choice but prior to that how should I prep the soil? Grass is sparse, weeds such as dandelions, weed clusters with burrs. A mess. I would appreciate your input, thanks.

Answer: Dee,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question and hope it is still helpful to you.

I suggest you begin by spraying the area with a product containing glyphosate following label instruction and taking care not to get it on desirable foliage. Then give that a week to work before close mowing and raking the dead material off of the surface and then rototiling about 2 inches deep to pepare to lay your new sod.