The Q&A Archives: Phlox, Daylily & Hosta....Flowering shrub

Question: I planted Phlox (Blue Boy) & Daylily (Stella Dora) roots in my flower bed a couple of weeks ago and I have yet to see anything come up. What should I do? Should they take a while to come up? Or should I dig up and move them to a different location?

I planted Hosta from the roots also and they are growing already, these are in a different location tho. How long does it take Hosta's to be fully grown? I can't wait to see these grown up around my trees.

Also, can u recommend a flowering shrub that is pretty but can remain under 3 ft. I would love a hydrangea but the ones I have found are 3-6ft.

Answer: Your phlox and daylilies will begin to grow once the air and soil temperatures warm up a little more. Hostas are usually the first to pop their heads out of the ground in the spring - your other plants will follow as soon as the temperatures suit them. Don't disturb them now... they'll wake up soon.

As for an attractive flowering shrub, have you considered azaleas, burning bush ('Emerald Gaiety'), hydrangea 'Annabelle' (grows only 2-3'), Russian Sage, or Spirea 'Crispa'.

Best wishes with your garden!