The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Fruit Trees

Question: How much space do I need to plant a dwarf fruit tree? Would next to my patio steps or on my patio be ok--and how much care do a dwarf fruit tree needs?

Answer: Jerri,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Dwarf fruit trees come in different sizes so it's hard to say specifically how far apart to plant. If the nursery tag give a mature width for the tree, plant them about 2 feet farther apart than that number. If not go with about 10 feet as a general guide. Either in a large container on the patio or next to the steps in the ground would be fine as long as the plant it put not any closer than about 5 feet from the steps. Please submit another question to the Home Depot website with the type of fruit tree you want to plant and I can then provide specific care info.