The Q&A Archives: what type plants grow best in the shade?

Question: I want to start a flower garden in my back yard, between my property and our neighbors. It would be located under this huge, old tree. It has several roots, I'm sure. I want to make it circular, around the base of the tree, and need to know what kind of plants grow best in the shade. I won't be digging, as there are so many roots, so I will just put topsoil around and plant from that. I heard impatiens would be good, but are there any others that might be as good?

Answer: Cathy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

There are many flowers that fit that job description. Some of your options are: Impatiens, Begonia, Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis), Oxalis, Mexican Petunia (Ruellia), Pansy, Foxglove (Digitalis), "Texas Gold' Columbine, Cyclamen, Flowering Tobacco (Nicotiana), Hosta, Tradescantia, Violet, Shrimp Plant, Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata), Coleus, Hinckley's columbine, Caladium, Butterfly Ginger (Hedychium) and Wishbone Flower (Torenia fournieri).