The Q&A Archives: browning of needles

Question: I have 3 southern white pines and 2 are turning brown (needles) and dropping off too I need to increase the acidity ( I am around neutral)? These trees are over 15 years old with a hight approximitely of 25 feet.

Answer: Since they have been fine in your soil for all this time, I would tend to consider other problems first. Unfortunately, pines are potentially subject to a number of pests and diseases which include the symptom of dropping needles. I would strongly suggest you consult with your local county extension (or on site with a professionally trained and certified arborist with experience working on residential ornamental trees) and get a specific diagnosis of the problem. Based on knowing that, you can decide how to proceed. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful long distance.