The Q&A Archives: Moss removal

Question: How do I remove moss from my grass (without having to manually rake it out) once it's dead?

Answer: Moss is usually a symptom of several problems, including poor drainage, too much shade, low fertility, compacted soil, and acid soil. If you can correct these underlying problems, and put your lawn on a regular feeding schedule, you'll have fewer moss problems. Start fertilizing in April with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK (the 3 numbers on the bag of fertilizer). Apply one pound of actual nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn per year. Feed again in June, September and late November or early December. Lilly Miller? Moss Out!? will kill the existing moss. Following the above suggestions will help keep your lawn moss free.