The Q&A Archives: protect garden

Question: I would like to protect the veg garden from kids and the dog-I want to cage or cover with fencing. Is this possible?

Answer: It is possible, but it is quite involved. I have seen vegetable gardens fenced with high sides and then a roof so the gardener could walk inside it. That quantity of fencing can be quite heavy and there is quite a span to reach across, so you would need a sturdy support, almost like building a shed of that size. Another option might be to train the dog to stay out of the garden, and then help your children to understand what the garden is so they respect it and appreciate it. Sometimes allowing children to help with some of the easy and fun aspects of gardening,age appropriate, can help with this. In the meantime, a simple perimeter fence about three feet tall usually serves as a good reminder to stay out of the garden.